As I prepare to launch Progressive Lawyer next month, I felt it important to put down in writing the values that I want the site (and eventually the B Corp that will follow) to incorporate as part of its DNA. I want Progressive Lawyer to be more than just a place to get career information or legal updates, I want Progressive Lawyer to be an agent of change. So here they are. Post any questions and comments below.
- To provide our community of lawyers and law students with the most accurate and comprehensive information and resources available to enable them to use their legal skills in a way that is progressive, altruistic and in the public interest while maintaining a healthy work/life balance.
- To inspire legal professionals to follow their progressive values and make a difference with their legal skills regardless of the kind of law they currently practice.
- To make a positive social impact locally, nationally and internationally. We believe that business should be socially responsible and give back to the community and as such we operate ours with a triple bottom line of profit, people and planet.
- To always be transparent to our community in how we operate and what we do.
- When it comes to technology we believe in:
- Open Source – Progressive Lawyer is built on open source software such as Linux and WordPress and we encourage its use wherever possible.
- Open Standards – We avoid proprietary standards wherever possible and have embraced web standards such as HTML 5 and CSS.
- An Open Internet – We believe that a free and open internet is the basis for innovation and free speech. As such we support any and all efforts to protect and enhance this vision.
- To maintain our autonomy. We are independent of any group or association, religious creed or political ideology.